It’s becoming increasingly common to hear a near or dear one just diagnosed of endometrial cancer. For this reason it's important to know why we are seeing more and more cases of endometrial cancers in India. Dr. Archit pandit a Gynaec oncologist in Delhi , Shalimar Bagh and South Delhi givers us some inputs to understand why Uterine cancers aka Endometrial cancers is so frequently heard of these days .
Lets see what Dr. Archit Pandit one of the best Gynaec oncologists had to say when asked about
There are mainly who kinds of Endometrial cancer and both have different reasons and risk factors.
Type 1 ENDOMETRIAL CANCER - Type 1 EC’s comprise of around 80% of EC’s and they have better prognosis and outcomes as compared to Type 2 EC’s. Type 1 EC’s are associated with HIGH ESTROGEN LEVELS IN WOMEN. High estrogen levels are seen in the following conditions.
1. ESTROGEN THERAPY without progesterone such as those patients who take Tablets like Tamoxifen (SERM used in Breast cancer patients )
2. ANOVULATORY MENSTRUAL CYCLES - Such as PCOD (polycystic ovarian diseases) , nulliparity (women who have never been pregnant) and infertility. The association in these women is seen mainly because of high frequency of anovulatory cycles in which these women have continuous exposure of estrogen and no opposition of progesterone resulting in higher chances of developing Endometrial cancers .
3. OBESITY - The most important reason to hear about Uterine cancers these days is OBESITY. Inactivity is prevailing much more today as compared to earlier. Obesity is on the rise in India among not only men but women also. Obese women have high levels of Estrogen which in turn can cause EC’s.
4. EARLY MENARCHE & LATE MENOPAUSE — Those women who had early menstruation and also late menopause where exposed to estrogen for a longer time in their menstrual life.
5. HEREDITARY FACTORS - Certain hereditary cancer syndromes such as LYNCH syndrome have 60% lifetime risk of developing EC. If you have a history of Colon-rectal cancers , breast cancer , ovarian cancers , Gastro intestinal cancer history ion you family then one should consult an oncologist who can assess the chances of developing EC.
Surgery is usually the main stay of treatment especially in early stage disease. The only way to attempt cure is to perform a surgery. So, if you have been advised surgery it means you have a chance of Cure. Surgery for endometrial cancer means removing the uterus, both ovaries , cervix and adjacent lymph nodes of the pelvis and para-aortic. Traditionally this surgery was performed by a midline long incision all along the abdomen also called as open surgery. Thanks to changing trends and technology this surgery is now performed by highly skilled surgeons trained in Laparoscopic and Robotic surgery. This is a relatively scarless/minimum scar surgery through which the surgery is performed. The benefits of minimally access surgery are immense such as,
1. Lesser blood loss
2. Early recovery
3. Less pain
4. Relatively scarless
5. Early mobilization and back to work in no time.
6. Lesser chances of lung infections or blood transfusions
7. Better cosmoses as the scars are as small as 4 mm .
Lots of research has supported this approach of performing Radical hysterectomy and pelvic and para aortic lymphadenectomy. This requires specialized training and high quality skill. Dr. Archit pandit is a Gynaec oncologist specifically trained in Laparoscopic and robotic cancer surgeries and has presently performed more than 150 endometrial cancer surgeries by laparoscopic and robotic technology. Let's see what his patients have to tell about Laparoscopic radical hysterectomy / minimally access surgery for endometrial cancers and its benefits .