Are you or your relative suffering with cancer of the Food pipe or call it esophageal cancer? If yes then by now you already know that most of the esophageal cancers can be cured using Trimodality treatment. That is, Radiation therapy, chemotherapy and Surgery.
However, many also fear that once radiation and chemotherapy is completed the body becomes so frail that a surgical intervention may not be possible. And, that’s why it is very important to identify this “GOLDEN PERIOD” and perform the below mentioned 5 steps during this period to make sure that your Surgery goes smooth and uneventful.
So, what is this GOLDEN PERIOD?
After Chemo-Radiation there is a gap of 6 to 8 weeks before the surgery is done. This period of no treatment is called the GOLDEN PERIOD during which one can adopt certain steps to make sure he is fit for the surgery.
So, what can I do to make sure that I can be fit for surgery?
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: Involve a physiotherapy. Expert that can help you improve your lung and chest function by making you perform breathing exercises. Yoga can also help you improve lung function. Incentive spirometry is a ball lifting exercise which can help you improve your lung function.
- Diet: A healthy diet. No protein supplements be it whey or otherwise can be better than a healthy home-made food. High protein and high carbohydrate diet is very important for reaping the benefits of this period. I would suggest one must involve a dietician to make you a programmed diet constituting all the ingredients of a balanced diet.
- Physical exercise: During this period of 6 to 8 weeks start walking 2 – 3 km per day at least it is sure to help one in their surgical adventure.
- Feeding Tube: Lot of patient’s do complain of difficulty in eating even after Chemo-radiation and hence discuss with your doctor to continue feeding through ryles tube so that it ensures that no nutritional deficit happens at any point of time
- Monitor your weight: Keep monitoring your weight to ensure that you are on the right track.
- Keep a track of warning signs: Warning signs like loss of weight, chest infection, fever, cough and persistence in difficulty in eating after Chemo-Radiation should be checked and discussed with your physician.
One can refer to our blog “10 important things to notice if you are going for an ESOPHAGEAL CANCER SURGERY. By clicking on the link https://www.drarchitpandit.com/blog2/undergoing-surgery-for-esophageal-cancer-10-important-things-you-need-to-know/
Another safe way of performing Esophageal surgery is by undergoing Laparoscopic Or robotic esophagectomy. Dr. Archit Pandit is one of the best cancer surgeons in Delhi who perform such surgeries by laparoscopic and robotic technology which is safer and ensures early and speedy recovery. You can know more about the esophageal surgery by clicking the link below. See esophageal cancer surgery