Prevent and Early Detect = Curing Cancer
A stitch in time saves nine. A proverb many of us use in our conversation but fail to follow. A simple mantra of prevention and early detection of cancer if understood can result in more than >95% chances of cure. Many Indian Bollywood actors have been vocal about their cancer detection and treatments they have undergone like Manisha koirala, Irfan khan, Rishi Kapoor and the most recent Sanjay Dutt. It just makes us realize that we are no different and we are equally risked to be have it.
The choices we make today can alter our life for good. Choosing to focus on prevention and early detection of cancer is the only effective and reliable way to cure in this battle against cancer.
The following common symptoms in females can help us being aware of our body.
- Breast – changes in breast like feeling a lump, asymmetry, skin or nipple retraction, blood stained nipple discharge.
- Cervix – Bloody discharge after coitus or excessive vaginal discharge
- Colon & Rectum – Change in bowel habits, unexplained weight loss, unexplained anemia, blood in stools or black colored stools.
- Uterine cancer – post menopausal bleeding, obese individuals having excessive bleeding per vaginum.
- Ovarian cancer – bloating like feeling of abdomen for over 2 months which doesn’t get relieved with medications.
Cancer preventive strategies do help
- Cervical cancer vaccine against cervical cancer : Vaccine is only effective against cancers that are caused due to infection of Human papilloma virus (HPV) like cervical cancers, some oral cancers , esophageal cancers which are caused by HPV infection and vulval cancers.
- Hepatitis Vaccination : Hepatitis vaccination helps to fight against hepatitis B virus which intern can cause liver cirrhosis and liver cancer. Hence vaccination against hepatitis B is an effective way of preventing against Hepatitis B related Liver cancer.
- W.H.O did mention that 40% of cancers are preventable by just modifying out lifestyle , diet https://www.drarchitpandit.com/blog2/cancer-prevention-6-tips-to-reduce-your-risk/
Follow screening program to detect them early .
- Yearly once screening mammography for early detection of breast cancer. Getting an annual screening mammography can help detect breast cancer at stage 0 or 1 resulting in more than 95% chance of cure.
- Cervical cancer is one of the few preventable cancers. Cervical cancer vaccine can help in prevention however getting a simple HPV (human papilloma test) every 5 years or a pap smear test every 3 years can help in detecting cervical cancers in stage 0 or 1 resulting in 95% cure if treated .
- Endometrial cancers are usually seen in obese women and post menopausal women. These are usually detected if there is an abnormal bleeding per vaginum. Identifying the symptoms and acting fast by simply. Getting an ultrasound of the abdomen can help in detecting Endometrial cancer and ovarian cysts and masses however these are not part of a screening program.
- Getting stool for occult blood checked can help early detect colon and rectum cancers. One needs to be very vigilant about any altered bowel habits or blood in stools and immediately discuss about this test with your primary health. Care physician.